Directory - Government


ACC can help you if you are injured or support someone who has been injured and needs short or long-term care. Information about ACC can be found at in a range of languages.
Some of ACC’s printed information is also available in languages other than English.
Visit or Call 0800 101 996. ACC has interpreters who can help you. ACC branches are listed in the “Government department contacts” section of the phone book.


Accessable provides equipment and modifications throughout Auckland and Northland, on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
Visit or Call 0508 001 002.

Department of Labour

For general queries on employment, pay, holidays and leave.
Visit or Call 0800 20 90 20 or Email

Enable New Zealand

Enable New Zealand provides equipment and modifications throughout New Zealand (with the exception of Auckland and Northland), on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
Visit or Call 0800 17 1981.

Family Services National Directory

The Family Services National Directory is an online tool that connects people with help and support.
As a carer, you will find this directory useful when you need local support, advice or networks. Visit the website to see what’s available in your region.

Health and Disability Commissioner

The Health and Disability Commissioner’s role is to promote and protect the rights of those using health and disability services.
The HDC website has information in a range of languages.
Visit, Auckland - Call TTY (09) 373 1060, Wellington - Call (04) 494 7900, Other areas - Call TTY 0800 11 22 33
Fax (09) 373 1061, Email, PO Box 1791, Auckland.

Nationwide Advocacy Service

(Through the Health and Disability Commissioner’s Office).
Call 0800 555 050, Free fax 0800 2787 7678, Email

Inland Revenue

Information about Working for Families and other tax benefits.
Visit the “individuals and families” section of, Call 0800 227 773, Deaf Link free fax 0800 621 621.

Ministry of Education, Special Education

Information about Ministry of Education, Special Education (GSE) funding and services.
Talk to your child’s teacher or principal, Visit
Call your nearest Ministry of Education, Special Education office (listed on the above website)
Call the Special Education Information Line 0800 622 222, Email
If you already have a relationship with a Needs Assessment and Service Co-ordination (NASC) organisation, you can also talk to them.

Ministry of Health

Information about Ministry of Health.
Visit, Auckland - Call (09) 580 9000, Hamilton - Call (07) 858 7000, Wellington - Call (04) 496 2000, Christchurch - Call (03) 364 6640, Dunedin – Call (03) 474 8040.

Needs Assessment and Service Co-ordination (NASC) Organisations

You need an assessment from a NASC organisation to get most health and disability support services funded by the Ministry of Health or a District Health Board.
Younger people (under 65 years)
You can find a list of NASCs for younger people at the Ministry of Health website or phone the Ministry of Health’s disability number 0800 DSD MOH (0800 373 664).
Older people (aged over 65 years and people aged 50–64 years who have similar needs)
You can find a list of NASCs for older people at or call your local District Health Board or your local hospital and ask to talk to the NASC team for older people.

Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand

Call 0800 483 8372.

Work and Income

Often the financial support available to you as a carer or to the person you care for is provided by Work and Income.
Work and Income can talk with you in different languages (Arabic, Cantonese, Farsi, Hindi, Mandarin, Ma - ori, Punjabi, Samoan, Somali, Tongan etc).
Please ask if you want to speak to someone in a language other than English.
Call 0800 559 009, Visit for more information – including 0800 phone numbers in other languages.
If you are deaf or find it hard to talk on the phone, you can send a message to the Deaf Link free fax on 0800 621 621 or email